Friday, March 25, 2011

Another War, Another Normal Week

Author: Jeanette Borges

Monday started a new week. I woke up and like every week day, as usual I called a cab and went to work. During the course of this day like every other I worked with about 20 other people. I saw delivery people, sales people and patients. I punched out and grabbed the bus to go home. Other people, coming or going, I don’t know, were on that bus.
I got off at my stop and went to the store before going home. People, people everywhere going about their usual routines.
I walked across the street and said hello to neighbors on the way to my apartment. Once home I threw  the keys on the counter, turned on the AC and stripped off my uniform and with a sense of freedom at last, turned on the TV and watched news. At  after Jon Stewart and Colbert I turned out the lights and in the dark tried to keep my brain still. Finally I sleep.
Today is Friday and after a week of pretty much the same ole, same ole, I got home and turned on the TV and found myself in a cloud of sadness and thoroughly perplexed.
Last weekend we went to war with Libya. During the week I heard no one, anywhere, speak of it. It’s like it wasn’t even happening. Another war and another week like any other. How is it possible to go to war and not even blink.
There are those who find justification for war simply because they are Republican and that is what some politician or media motor mouth tells them. Democrats may believe that war is acceptable because Obama is President. Have we all become brain dead and can't we reach an opinion independently of party  loyalties and corporate media war propaganda? Regardless, shouldn’t we all agree that war is highly undesirable and we can’t afford them?  You are paying for it. Why do you simply accept this?
George McGovern said “I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in”. What will it take for you to say to the same?
Dwight D. Eisenhower said “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed”. What will it take before you see the stupidity of spending on eternal wars?
We the sheeple.. we go where ever we are led no matter what it cost us. God help us. What have we become? Another war and another normal week.

*****************

Other famous quotes:

Martin Luther King-A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
Benjamin Franklin-Never has there been a good war or a bad peace.
Ernest Hemingway-Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.
Gandhi-What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?
Georges Clemenceau-War is too serious a matter to entrust to military men.
Albert Einstein-So long as there are men there will be wars.
Albert Einstein-I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Ronald Reagan -History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap

No comments:

Post a Comment